[lbo-talk] LA Times 8/7/07: Behind enemy lines

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 8 09:31:42 PDT 2007

On Aug 8, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Chuck wrote:

> What annoys me, and what has me considering leaving this list
> permanently, is that smart people on this list argue that there is a
> difference between these two parties. Superficial differences, I'll
> grant that. But fundamental differences? The Democrats are the part of
> anti-capitalism? I don't think so.

Who ever said the Dems were anti-capitalist? Not me for sure. They're a bourgeois party. They are under pressure from their constituency to act otherwise sometimes, and talk otherwise somewhat more often. It pays to acknowledge the difference if you want to talk to people outside the far left. That's all I'm saying.

And I'll bet that if Hillary's elected many of the people who think there's a big difference between the parties will be massively disappointed, though it might take them a year to admit it. That's why it's better for radical politics to have Dems in office. They're a wonderful catalyst for radicalizing disillusionment.

Doug