[lbo-talk] Nader, et al

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 8 09:34:23 PDT 2007

On Aug 8, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> As to whether it makes a difference -- I disagree with Carrol to this
> extent: I think each vote for a Democrat does a weensy bit of net
> damage to the well-being of humankind (WBOH), and each abstention --
> particularly if it's proudly proclaimed from the housetops, e.g. by
> wearing a Don't Vote button -- does a weensy bit of good, if we accept
> that achieving, and spreading, some degree of enlightenment is a net
> gain for the WBOH.

I don't get the mechanism of how not voting for a Dem does positive good. The establishment probably sees nonvoters as a success story - the disaffected who, instead of causing trouble, just shrug and say, "Whatever." It took the American elite more than a century to get to this point, and from their POV, it's a great triumph.

Doug