[lbo-talk] Baseball History

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 14:42:53 PDT 2007

You had to be around this guy over the years to appreciate the achievement -- the incredible beauty of the swing, the fantastic drives into the Bay, the staggering number of times pitchers (or their managers) just gave up and walked him. He was called arrogant, but perhaps just lacked the verbal skills or need to give the standard self-effacing athlete's response to questions.

In a corrupt and selfish culture, it's hypocritical to judge athletes by some fairy-tale standard of good behavior, as if it applied to any other parts of our life.

Bob W