[lbo-talk] Baseball History

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 21:51:15 PDT 2007

--- John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote: "Athletes are looked upon differently than movie stars or rock stars in our culture.Schools spend huge sums on athletic programs sending kids the message that this is really important shit."

John, this is not how culture works in high schools. Kids spend 90% of their time listening to music and the rest talking about what's cool. They are oblivious to any messages the school may try to send them. Kids, boys and girls, model themselves on pop music idols -- far more subversive influences than athletes, who actually have to work to succeed.

The dark side of athletics is its symbolic/psychological connection with militarism. In that sense, steroid use could be likened to Rumsfeld's dream of the amped-up robot super-warrior.

Bobw