[lbo-talk] VDNKh, was Re: climate & chaos

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 11:38:59 PDT 2007

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Moscow's public spaces are wonderful. The interiors
> is, as you say, cramped. Missed the exhibition
> center.
> >From 20 or more years back I never remember the
> Paris
> Metro as anything but smooth, sleek, fast,
> efficient,
> modern, and pretty. Not gorgeous, unlike Moscow. No
> pee smell. Working, clean, public toilettes -- in
> the
> subway! Rome is grungier and has less way coverage
> of
> the city, but no pee smell there either. Here the
> state legislature just budgeted $0.0 for the Chicago
> Transit Authority. That is not a typo. The governor
> will veto this budget, I understand. There is some
> bizarre game of political chicken going on that I do
> not understand.

The VDNKh exhibition center is where the famous Worker and Collective Farm Girl statue is, or rather was, since it's currently down for repairs. The thing just goes on forever. It's the size of a good-sized town. Not only that, if you walk all the way to the back you enter the Botanical Gardens, which is again the size of a good-sized town. Hey, here's an blog on it, with pictures!: http://snow-square.blogspot.com/2006/04/where-propaganda-and-architecture.html

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase. http://farechase.yahoo.com/