[lbo-talk] Here comes the Big One?

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 11:44:59 PDT 2007

--- Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote: "But I rather think that some such crisis is probably the only thing that offers any hope at all of derailing the Globalization and Immiseration Express"

Let's change the subject and avoid the acrimony. Michael adds another dimension to the discussion: how do we oppose Globalization politically, under normal circumstances? Since Glblzn is widely associated with "free trade" laws like NAFTA and WTO, and since these have pummelled American workers, should we support the reverse of free trade, i.e. restrictive tariffs, protectionist measures, tax breaks for domestic job creation, etc.? Will these, as conventional wisdom has it, lead directly to a collapse of global trade, and Depression, as they did in the 30's?

BobW