[lbo-talk] Here comes the Big One?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Aug 10 13:27:04 PDT 2007

On 08/10/07 03:37:56 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> So, you are taking active steps to help being about
> this longed-for Apocalypse? Or you are morally OK
> because you just hoping and that's innocent? If Kant
> (and most of modern Anglo-American law) is right, bad
> intentions are what make bad acts bad, and wishing
> evil on people is a culpable state of mind.

It's an interesting thought experiment. I'm not in any position to take any steps one way or the other, but if I were... would I push the Big Red Button? Probably not; I wouldn't want the responsibility. I'm sure this wouldn't get me off the hook with old Herr Kant. But as for feeling a certain bubbling glee if it happens without any involvement on my part -- there I'm quite unrepentant, Kant or no Kant.

> Politically speaking, would you like to go to explain
> to workers that you hope for the destruction of the
> economy, the loss of their jobs, savings (if any),
> retirement funds, homes, and to see them plunged into
> destitution the better to radicalize them and turn
> them against the capitalist system? Do you think they
> would regard this as a reason to trust you or a
> recommendation for your point of view?

These would be serious considerations if I were applying for a position as an organizer, but I'm not. I admire people who can do that job, but never for a second thought I would be any good at it.

> Oh, don't worry, you can say, the
> professional-managerial types are the ones who will
> really be destroyed;

Why so I can, or so can any man; but I haven't. And don't expect to.