[lbo-talk] capitalism and collapse

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Sat Aug 11 08:14:55 PDT 2007

That may be (I'd agree - there's lots more financial slack in the system), but the word 'crisis' is useful because it suggests that the correction ahead will entail either serious displacement efforts (Fed bailouts along the lines of 9/98) or moving the cost to those least able to pay (the low/medium-income homeowners - especially African-Americans - who are going to be on the streets very soon).

The more serious problem, it seems, is the durable US current account deficit, a geographical and temporal displacement that may be untenable.

Seems a little apocalyptic to me. My impression about the housing problem is that people won't be on the street -- they'll be renting garden apartments and the like. If the mortgage goes belly up they still have the income they were using to service it available to pay rent.

The current account is a different matter.

mbs (waiting for the bubble to pop, so I can buy a bigger house)

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 53133 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.476 / Virus Database: 269.11.13/946 - Release Date: 8/10/2007 3:50 PM