[lbo-talk] LA Times 8/7/07: Behind enemy lines

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 11 18:16:06 PDT 2007

On 08/08/07 09:01:04 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> Most radicals who take the not a dime's worth
>
> of difference line seem to think they're speaking for the masses, but
>
> evidently the masses don't agree. So how to reconcile?

Is it conceivable that the masses are... mistaken? We seem to have no problem with this conclusion when we discuss the masses' religious views.

Most proles are dimly aware that there are differences between the major parties of the bourgeois. The ones who aren't persuaded as much by images of the need for *national strength in the face of the enemy*, whoever that might be at the moment, tend to be able to see that the Democrats will give them access to more of the national wealth than the Republicans. There is a similar dynamic at work in Australia with the proles and the Labor Party. For instance, one prole might vote for the Liberal Party because s/he thinks that Howard projects the image of strength and will be a stronger national leader in the world, while another will vote for Kevin Rudd because s/he sees that Labor has promised some kind of governmental dental coverage, if elected. Down deep in the relative unconsciouness of the proletariat, there is class struggle happening over the social product of labour which is reflected in voting patterns. Heart and minds, the battles go on....

Mike B)

Mike B)

Between these two classes a struggle must go on until the workers of the world organize as a class, take possession of the means of production, abolish the wage system, and live in harmony with the Earth.

http://www.iww.org/culture/official/preamble.shtml

____________________________________________________________________________________ Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more. http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC