[lbo-talk] Zionist insanity in NYC

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Aug 11 19:08:52 PDT 2007

<http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/10/under-fire-arabic- themed-school-principal-resigns/#comment-12076>

August 10, 2007, 2:08 pm Under Fire, Arabic-Themed School’s Principal Resigns By Julie Bosman

Updated, 5:56 p.m. | The principal of a new Arabic-themed public school in Brooklyn resigned under pressure today, days after she was quoted defending the use of the word “intifada” as a T-shirt slogan.

Debbie Almontaser, a veteran public school teacher, was hired to lead the Khalil Gibran International Academy, a middle school that was scheduled to open this fall. An immediate replacement was not announced, and Ms. Almontaser’s abrupt exit left the future of the school in question.

Ms. Almontaser is a well-known Muslim activist in New York City and a member of a prominent Yemeni-American family in Brooklyn. She helped to educate children in interfaith understanding after 9/11. Her son Yousif has served in the Army National Guard. Five of her nephews have served in Iraq as marines; Andrea Elliott of The Times wrote about the nephews’ service in an article published last August. (Daniel J. Wakin of The Times wrote about Ms. Almontaser’s work in November 2001 and August 2002.)

This week, Ms. Almontaser has found herself in the crosshairs of public scrutiny.

The remarks that made her the focus of criticism were in response to questions from The New York Post over the phrase “Intifada NYC,” which was printed on T-shirts sold by Arab Women Active in Art and Media, a Brooklyn-based organization that the Anti-Defamation League asserts is linked to Hamas. The Post reported that Ms. Almontaser is a board member of the Saba Association of American Yemenis, which shares office space with the women’s group. Here is The Post’s account of Ms. Almontaser’s comments:

“The word [intifada] basically means ’shaking off.’ That is the root word if you look it up in Arabic,” she said.

“I understand it is developing a negative connotation due to the uprising in the Palestinian-Israeli areas. I don’t believe the intention is to have any of that kind of [violence] in New York City.

“I think it’s pretty much an opportunity for girls to express that they are part of New York City society … and shaking off oppression.”

Ms. Almontaser issued an apology the next day, saying that she regretted her remarks. “By minimizing the word’s historical associations, I implied that I condone violence and threats of violence,” she said in a statement.

But the apology was followed by criticism from Randi Weingarten, the president of the United Federation of Teachers. Ms. Weingarten stopped short of calling for Ms. Almontaser’s resignation, but called the word intifada “something that ought to be denounced, not explained away.”

(Meanwhile, The Post excoriated Ms. Almontaser in editorials on Tuesday and today. The Post also reported today that only six Arabic- speaking students have signed up to attend the school, which is to open next month. The school, which was expected to have about 60 students, was to share space with the Brooklyn High School of the Arts and the Math and Science Exploratory School in Boerum Hill.)

The Khalil Gibran International Academy is to offer a standard college preparatory curriculum that includes an emphasis on Arabic language, culture and history. The school’s mission is not religious. However, a coalition called Stop the Madrassa has organized opposition to the school, arguing that the school would teach “Islamist curricula.”

This morning, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said he continued to support the Arabic-themed school, but welcomed Ms. Almontaser’s departure. He said in his weekly radio call-in program on WABC-AM:

"I know the woman. She’s worked for the city in a variety of capacities. She’s very smart. She’s certainly not a terrorist. She really does care. And she said something a couple days ago -– she got a question, she’s not all that media-savvy maybe, and she tried to explain a word rather than just condemn. But I think she felt that she had become the focus of — rather than having the school the focus, so today she submitted her resignation, which is nice of her to do. I appreciate all her service and I think she’s right to do so. But now, let’s look to the future."

The mayor added: “Having an Arabic dual-language school is a really important thing down the road. We need Arabic speakers in this city.”

At 2:41 p.m. today, Ms. Weingarten released this statement:

We respect Ms. Almontaser’s decision to resign to allow the Khalil Gibran International Academy to go forward with its educational mission. Getting a new school up and running is challenging under the best of circumstances, and the controversy surrounding her was a distraction that kept concerned parents and educators from focusing on the benefits and potential of this dual-language school. Ms. Almontaser has a reputation for being a caring and dedicated educator, and we hope she will continue to work for the benefit of children.

At 3:10 p.m., the Education Department released this statement from Ms. Almontaser:

This morning I tendered my resignation to Chancellor Klein, which he accepted. I became convinced yesterday that this week’s headlines were endangering the viability of Khalil Gibran International Academy, even though I apologized. I have spent the last two years of my nearly 15 years with the Department working to create the unique educational opportunities that the school will offer. I will not allow the recent outcry to undermine these possibilities for the children of our city.