[lbo-talk] capitalism and collapse

Tim Francis-Wright tim at francis-wright.com
Sat Aug 11 19:56:44 PDT 2007

Dennis Redmond wrote:
> I'd caution LBO-sters against reading apocalypse in the death-throes of a
> few hedge funds, though. At most, we may see a $200-$250 billion bailout
> of selected mortgage lenders, and a nasty US recession. But it looks like
> East Asia and Europe have finally decoupled from the US - their trade
> links with their booming semiperipheries are large enough to mitigate even
> a severe American slowdown.

I agree with this assessment in general. I must say that the only refreshing thing about the hedge fund death-throes was seeing Harvard's endowment take a hit. On the other hand, my state's pension fund managers have already been burned twice and see nothing amiss.

--tim francis-wright

<http://snipurl.com/sowood> Boston Globe, August 3, 2007

State pension officials say they will keep investing in hedge funds despite up to $30 million in losses tied to the recent collapse of Sowood Capital Management LP in Boston and $50 million in losses associated with the meltdown of Amaranth Advisors LLC of Connecticut last year.

Some pension systems could even increase their hedge fund holdings under a regulator's decision last week that raised the limit on how much systems can put into hedge funds as long as they spread around the risk....

Sowood, a $3 billion Boston hedge fund founded by former money managers of the Harvard University endowment, lost more than half its value last month. On Monday, Sowood's corporate bond and loan holdings were purchased by Citadel Investment Group LLC of Chicago. Harvard's endowment lost at least $250 million on Sowood, and The Boston Foundation lost about $18 million.