[lbo-talk] Crime in Philly

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 14:57:34 PDT 2007

Actually, I do think stop and frisk will result in locking up some people carrying handguns, and if so might drive a chunk of the casual daily handgun play off the targeted streets. Remember, the big factor in the new surge of violence is respect issues and arguments which in years past would've been settled with fists or at worst blades, now go directly to guns, because so many males under 25 are carrying them around in their waistband in the hood. I mean, handgun play has gotten so institutionalized into the fabric of these kids lives that its even creating common mannerisms--- have you noticed kids getting in arguments, even when not carrying, the symbol of "I'll fuck you up" is to wordlessly pull up one's shirt to reveal your waistband even if you're not carrying.

Of course stop and frisk can't address any of the real root causes of the violence or make a big dent in it, but then again, we definitely don't have any ideas we can implement or win a public campaign for or win a city election on. I -also- think stop and frisk will entail a ton of profiling. But I don't even know how to formulate an opinion or perspective on it, because my ideological milleu is still reminiscing about the 70s.

> Sure I think that community residents have a more conflicted view, but I
> don't think that boiling it down to more boots on the street has a
> pro-community legacy in Philly either. Didn't we already talk about Rizzo
> with the billy club in his cummerbund?

But that's just the thing I'm saying! You're talking about Rizzo in 2007! But it is in fact a very different police force and urban power structure and city demographics. We as the left are molding how we think about urban violence around Rizzo, around, 'gee I haven't looked at the numbers but I bet most black youth today get killed in police raids on black panther offices'. Whereas in poorer urban neighborhoods nobody has a friend who was killed by rizzo and everybody has a friend who was killed by another kid in the neighborhood, and as a result different segments of the hood population are having some very different opinions about what should happen, differing by age probably more than anything else.

I mean, before the violence started breaking headlines and nutter started running on stop and frisk, he was not a top contender; the most enthusaistic people in his camp were like six or seven green party nerds downtown. He said he was for stop and frisk, Chaka Fatah said he was against it, and in the last week of the election a big chunk of fatah's black base moved to nutter's camp. I think its safe to say nobody in the city except leftists are still making their calls out of the 70s playbook from the rizzo era. It's a strange new world out there.

Speaking of all of which, has anyone been following cory booker and newark's latest travails?