[lbo-talk] More Bad Brains press on homophobia since their new LP just came out

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Sun Aug 12 23:53:07 PDT 2007

There is an alternative version of this story in Dance of Days, which I suspect is more accurate. That version has HR suddenly freaking out at Turner, for reasons that no one else is aware of and possibly destroying some art projects. I had about the same reaction to this story that you did. Not only does Jenifer not accept any culpability for HR's homophobic bullshit (if you read Dance of Days, you'll realize that this is not the only time that this issue comes up with HR or the band), but he seems to imply that MDC's response was somehow racist. The sense you get from the Dance of Days stories is that MDC's anger really came from the fact that they thought so highly of the band, and that illusion was shattered. On the other hand, I suspect that this interpretation probably has something to do with the extensive racism that the group really did have to deal with (which I don't want to minimize.) On the other hand, the other impressively inaccurate thing that Jenifer states is that Bad Brains had been a band long before hardcore. It is true that they played a single house show as the fusion band Soul Power (where they were effectively booed off the stage), but this hardly constitutes a long trajectory. Rather punk produced Bad Brains, Bad Brains produced hardcore..... of this... enough

robert wood