[lbo-talk] Shameless: The Israeli Government and the Survivors of the Holocaust

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Tue Aug 14 04:45:17 PDT 2007

Shameless: The Israeli Government and the Survivors of the Holocaust Written by Michael Warschawski

“I want the Germans to know where all the money they gave to the State of Israel has gone.” These were the words of one of the survivors of the WWII Jewish genocide, who was demonstrating in front of the Israeli Knesset to demand an increase in the state’s allocation to them as survivors of the genocide.

Many of the survivors, who today are obviously very old, live in extreme poverty: the allocation they receive from the state is insufficient to live decently in the few years they still have, and they often lack proper medical care. Their protest is for money, but above all for their lost dignity: “I came the whole way from Ramat Gan to protest against the humiliation of the Holocaust survivors” said Haya Rosenbaum, a survivor from Auschwitz.

[...]

“Often I ask myself if it was not a mistake to remain alive,” said Miriam Yahav, who has survived Auschwitz and Treblinka, “if it was not a mistake to come to Israel to live among Jews. Sixty years ago we have been oppressed and robbed by the Nazis and their assistants. Years later we are robbed again by our own government. It is shameful!” Eizer Eilon, who was in no less than five Nazi concentration camps, adds: “What the Nazis ultimately failed to achieve, the Israeli government may succeed to achieve, God forbid…”

[...]

To read the whole article, http://www.alternativenews.org/blogs/michael-warschawski/shameless-the-israeli-government-and-the-survivors-of-the-holocaust-20070814.html.