[lbo-talk] yuan dollar

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 14 09:33:25 PDT 2007

Yet profit from contractors may well be mostly repatriated. So it's not clear to me that an appreciated yuan would necessarily be a blow to US corporate profitability. On the contrary, yuan reserves abroad would now be worth more in dollars. All this assumes that Paulson is not talking smack. I don't think an appreciated yuan would save small American home-based business or declining industries. So if Paulson is serious and is not working on behalf of declining or small business, then the question is in whose interest an appreciated yuan would be. Not most Americans as consumers or mortgage holders obviously. RB