[lbo-talk] green fakers

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 14 13:39:52 PDT 2007

Dennis Claxton wrote:
>> She recommends "ordinary people" use recycled content toilet paper, and
>> use it sparingly, yet when she travels she insists on color coordinated
>> super soft toilet paper according to hotel staffers who have waited on her.
>> If she would just shut the fuck up about others individual choices
>> concerning the environment no one will care about her personal
>> carbon-footprint.
>>

>> [WS:] So by this logic, we should dismiss Das Kapital and communism in
>> general, because Karl Marx was a spiteful prick and a misogynist in his
>> private life, no?
>>
>> Wojtek
>>

> She's just doing her job. Loopy behavior from entertainers is entertaining.

It's not entertaining, it's counterproductive. Instead of actually doing something constructive she posts nonsense on her website about how important it is that everyone turn their thermostat to 78° F when they are home and 85° F when away. This is not constructive. In Malibu this may work but where I live it is currently 105° and 88% relative humidity. If I turn my A/C to 85° F my house will be like a sauna when I come in and I will then have to break another one of Barbara's "rules" by running my A/C between 4 PM and 6 PM just to make my room comfortable. It would be more efficient for me to maintain a comfortable temperature all the time. I set mine for 80° F because that is where I am most comfortable. Her individualistic approach is counterproductive and hypocritical. If she really believes that an individual approach is what works how can she exempt herself? She's a loon who should shut the fuck up about the environment because she is adding nothing to the debate, she is not increasing anyone's consciousness in a meaningful way since her way, the individualistic way, is doomed to fail. Her hypocrisy demonstrates why it is a failed approach and is a fair criticism.

John Thornton