[lbo-talk] yuan dollar

bhandari at berkeley.edu bhandari at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 14 15:44:50 PDT 2007

Ok I am totally perplexed as to what Paulson's game is. He is not trying to revalue yuan holdings of US corporations--Doug has made his case; big US business, mortgage holders and consumers would at the least not benefit from sharper yuan appreciation--Marvin has made the case. And why is Congress (across party lines) pressuring Paulson to put pressure on Chinese authorities? I can't see how the job gain from yuan appreciation would not be overwhelmed by the losses to the US economy. Perhaps US multinationals operating elsewhere would stand to benefit; perhaps US companies see the internal Chinese market as the biggest source of new profit growth and think a yuan appreciation would add fuel to the fire. Or perhaps Paulson is just talking smack? But there seems to be more to it than that. Totally confused.