[lbo-talk] Definition of "Political Correctness"

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Aug 15 08:10:39 PDT 2007

Robert Wrubel wrote:
> A minor, pedantic point: this thread started out as a
> discussion of political correctness, and immediately
> switched to a discussion of right/left or left/left
> partisan or sectarian attack speech. They're not the
> same thing. Partisan political speech is as old as
> organized society, whereas political correctness is a
> sarcastic term coined in the late 20th century by
> righties to slur liberals as mindless conformists.
>
> BobW

The first people I heard using the term were lefties making fun of other rigid and dogmatic lefties. It was said in a collegial way: "hey, lighten up; sure, we're all opposed to nuclear power plants, but that doesn't mean we have to cut off our electrical service." Of course, the term took on more negative connotations when the right wing got a hold of it.

Miles