[lbo-talk] Zoning (Was Re: yuan dollar)

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 15 12:45:08 PDT 2007

>No, but it was "classist," to use the 90s term. The whole point of
>the first code was to get factories and the smelly workers who filled
>them out of the posher parts of midtown Manhattan. The would be
>pushed outward from the central business district for the next nine
>decades.
>
>Doug

I was at the Los Angeles County museum the other day and saw two paintings side-by-side depicting smelly worker neighborhoods in early 20th century New York and Los Angeles. The Los Angeles neighborhood, Bunker Hill, was bulldozed away in the '60s. In the late 19th century Bunker Hill was a wealthy enclave filled with two-story Victorians. As central Los Angeles became more urbanized the wealthy residents moved toward the beach and into Pasadena. Many of the houses they had lived in were subdivided and the area became a working class neighborhood. Then in the '50s it was deemed a slum and Hollywood helped by using it as a backdrop in movies with detectives looking for bad guys always finding them in Bunker Hill. Now Gehry's Disney Concert Hall is there.

Someone put together a bunch of photos from the Los Angeles public library of developers and politicians looking at models for what the area would look like. There's some great pics here:

http://mydowntownlosangeles.blogspot.com/2007/02/bunker-hill-redevelopment-through.html

The New York painting I saw was Cliff Dwellers by George Bellows. Coney Island by Paul Cadmus was in the same room.

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~molouns/amst450/village/art1.html

http://photo.net/photo/pcd0222/cadmus-coney-island-58