[lbo-talk] yuan dollar

bhandari at berkeley.edu bhandari at berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 15 16:56:26 PDT 2007

Yes as I did suggest James Galbraith's explanation is strained; he needs a whole family of such explanations. But if Paulson is putting pressure to revalue RMB upward, backed by Congressional threat of trade sanctions, unless full capital convertibility is allowed and the financial sector opened, well then, we now have quite a different explanation for Paulson's and Congress' 1+2 punch than we started with. The US government is not really playing to but taking advantage of Sinophobic popular reaction. I wonder whether Max, Jeff Faux and others have anything more to say at this point. Rakesh