[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Cretinism, electoral and otherwise]

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Fri Aug 17 06:34:27 PDT 2007

By Stalinism I mean either a national-reformist variant of Leninism which resulted from the destruction of workers' democracy in the Soviet Union as a result of the civil war, or alternatively, a bureaucratic system that was imposed elsewhere by the Red Army through military conquest. Why use of the term should preclude serious discussion I'm not sure. Your definition of what constitutes a victory for workers is also rather puzzling.

And if, as you seem to think, the GDR was something progressive with a mass support base, I find it hard to understand why it (along with the rest of the Soviet Bloc) imploded so suddenly with barely a whimper from ordinary people.

Angelus Novus wrote:

> Russell Grinker wrote:

> * Stalingrad was good for the German working class
> because it laid the basis for the reshaping
(division) > of Germany and a 'welfare' state under the tutelage of > US imperialism?

Yes. And another welfare state under the tutelage of Soviet occupation.

> * Reunification was a defeat - the continuation of
> the division apparently preferable?

Absolutely. Come talk to my East German family about it sometime.

> Does this mean that you regard the continuation of a
> dysfunctional East German Stalinist state -
> originally imposed as part of a deal between Stalin
> and the Allies - as a progressive option?

Your use of the word "Stalinist" to describe the GDR raises real doubts in my mind concerning your interest in a serious discussion.