[lbo-talk] Left alternative to The Economist? An Anti-Economist?

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Fri Aug 17 16:38:57 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 10:28:09AM -0400, ravi wrote:

> I agree with your view of The Economist and its readership -- many of my
> otherwise intelligent and left-leaning tech friends subscribe to the rag
> (I am not sure how much of it they read) because of this strange
> attraction it holds (perhaps there are Anglophilia issues here).

I always thought those that read and loved it actually did support the US Empire quietly but didn't want to admit it since they were thoughtful Democrats, and Democrats don't use those terms. The Economist justifies the position with a British smug and slightly superior, yet envious, tone, which feels oh-so-right.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

Reason is the life of the law; nay, the common law itself is nothing else but reason.

-Sir Edward Coke