[lbo-talk] NYers living longer than other Americans - who knew?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 22:05:08 PDT 2007

Based upon my own neighborhood, Sunset Park, I think your picture is incomplete.

Immigrants here generally live in tightly-knit ethnic communities (of Chinese or various Central American nationalities), and while many are indeed poor, they also have significant numbers of union members and small business owners.

And the poor don't have it so bad health-wise. They're eligible for Medicaid (top-notch) or Health Plus (second-tier), while as a person who's merely moderate-income, I have to settle for the far inferior Healthy New York.

(Perhaps my tombstone will someday read, "His Job Killed Him, But Not How You Might Expect." I'm feeling various reactionary instincts, but will refrain from putting them into writing.)

I fail to understand the significance you ascribe to density. Yes, our asthma rates are higher than they should be, but having a clinic every few blocks and a hospital every few miles has to work in our favor.

"[S]corned by the native society"? Put away your violin, come down here and show me the native society; I think I must have missed it.