[lbo-talk] NYers living longer than other Americans - who knew?

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 07:02:42 PDT 2007

On 8/17/07, Paul <paul_ at igc.org> wrote:
> Thanks to Doug for posting this. The article takes up much of the same
> message that the Bloomberg Administration has tried to peddle since taking
> office (sadly, since as a private donor Bloomberg had given tangible
> support to public health).
>
> As a reminder, here is a key quote:
> >In essence, there is a health gap emerging between our massive metropolis
> >and the rest of the country—some X factor that's improving our health in
> >subtle, everyday ways.
>
> I know we have all seen this before and despite the source (NY Magaz),
> somehow I still become aghast at how the well off in America have moved
> into self-congratulatory class bubble. They manage not to even know about
> the majority - those pushed out or just passed over by the new economy.
>
> New York City has swapped populations to a surprising degree. Surely it is
> obvious that a good part (not necessarily all) of the change in health
> status is due to the demographic switch in the population (the data the
> article presents is for current NYC residents, not a longitudinal study of
> those who used to live there see
> http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/vs/2004sum.pdf ). Despite what
> the article says, NYC has a lower cancer or cardiac death rate than the
> rest of the country because of its new demographics - not because of
> "leadership" and NYC's "specialness".

Check out NYC's age structure.

<http://osc.state.ny.us/press/releases/apr03/nyceconrep2-03.pdf> Recent Trends in the New York City Economy April 2003

Alan G. Hevesi State Comptroller Office of the State Deputy Comptroller for the City of New York Report 1-2004

Demographic data provided from the supplementary survey show the City's population increased 0.1 percent in 2001. Over the year, the proportion of the City's population between the ages of 25 and 64—the years of labor force participation—increased by 1.6 percent, but the population aged from 0 to 24 and 65 and over decreased by 1.9 percent and 0.7 percent, respectively. The share of the working age group was 55.1 percent in 2001, about 3 percent higher than the national average. In addition, the median age in the City was 34.6 years old, 1.1 years younger than the national median. -- Yoshie