[lbo-talk] Left alternative to The Economist? An Anti-Economist?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 18 08:38:45 PDT 2007

Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> Why are we as leftists capable of reading "The Nation" critically, but not
> the Economist or FT?
>
> Y'all can generalize speculatively all you want about readers of this or
> that publication, but it just makes you sound like Bill O'Reilly calling Jon
> Stewart's viewers a bunch of potheads.

There is a self-destructive tendency in too many leftists to be obsessed with not appearing naive or vulgar -- probably this is one of the results of the overwhelming power of bourgeois ideology ("common sense") in current capitalism. My image for it has always been the stereotypical Victorian Matron who raises her chin and draws in her skirts to show that _she_ isn't like _those women_. Doug in particular is going to have serious neck problems from constantly looking down his nose at the lack of sophistication among _other_ leftists.

Carrol