[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Cretinism, electoral and otherwise]

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 10:09:44 PDT 2007

--- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote: [WS:] An excellent point, indeed. I think that was what most people

found especially insulting about the Soviet-style propaganda, being treated

like a bunch of morons. Another annoying aspect was a very formulaic approach

- basically recitations of the same formulae that were not related to

anything in the "real life" as seen by most people. It was almost like

signaling "now a word from our sponsors," followed by something totally

unconnected but actually worth watching (like a movie or a play.)

--

Remember this kind of stuff? Here, I translate the first two paragraphs of "A Word on the Communists," by L.I. Brezhnev:

A Word on the Communists L.I. Brezhnev Chapter One

For me, the party, and serving its cause, are the core of my entire life. Sometimes it seems to me that I could not live for a day without the awareness that I am a part of this great whole, not feeling a blood link with this society of fearless, worthy, and just fighters. No, this is indeed the truth: I could not. Like the millions of people comprising its ranks, I cannot imagine myself without our party -- the greatest creation of Leninist genius, guarantor of the Revolution, a new social order, the hopes and aspirations of our people and all progressive humanity. I am well aware that on the day that I became a Communist my life obtained a high moral justification, filled with a new, special sense.

It was in the Urals. On October 9, 1929, the bureau of the Bisertskii raikom of the VKP(b) took me as a candidate member of the party. Comrades from the Sverdlovsk obkom recently sent me protocol number 44 from this bureau. And I thought... so many years have passed since that memorable day. More than half a century in the party! And with great heartfelt gratitude I thought of the glorious Leninist Guard, the leading division of the working class and of our whole society, and the millions of comrades in the party that has given us the happy chance to fully dedicate ourselves to the struggle for goodness, immerse ourselves in labor and experience the joy of victory.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7