[lbo-talk] Merrill considers its bullishness

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Aug 18 10:31:42 PDT 2007

[from Merrill Lynch chief economist David Rosenberg, who's been among Wall Street's leading gloomsters over the last couple of years]

Gearing up for the down cycle

We have a well developed and heartily enforced ethic about being bullish on America. We embrace the history. But, at the same time, we need to preserve the Merrill Lynch edge, if at all possible. We want to make sure that our clients' interests are always well served and at times this has meant telling people "stuff" they didn't want to hear - what we are seeing above the surface today has been building for a year if not more.