[lbo-talk] "Opening the discount window" & "the fundamentalsare sound" = ????

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 15:01:51 PDT 2007

Speaking of house prices:

Was watching the original Amityville Horror movie last night. The 70s one starring manly-man James Brolin, who throughout the film made Michael Landon look like Kris Kristofferson.

Anyway, Brolin and wife Margot Kidder buy a three story house, which has a boat house way out back, a dock & pier, a large cellar, a big attic, and a massive yard that ends at a nice, scenic river embankment -- for $80,000. This is 1976, I think.

Brolin and his thick mane fret over being able to afford this. Of course, the "price could easily fetch $140,000," Brolin muses, his Grizzly Adams beard glinting ruggedly. But of course no one's asking that ridiculously high amount, because the house has a bad past. (Murder and stuff.)

In the meantime, Brolin's character has 3 kids, and his wife does not work. He owns a motorcycle, and a large brown van. He also has a boat on his dock out back that the family goes cruising around on for sport.

The movie never shows Brolin at work, unless he makes millions by somehow angrily chopping wood in his backyard, and by silently brooding for 50% of the film.

Yep, I love Hollywood life. A $140,000 house with a massive yard, a boat house, a dock and pier, big cellar, and you don't even need to go to work while supporting 4 other folks. That motorcycle Brolin drove around on, also not while working, was pretty bad ass. The way his lustrous locks flowed behind him -- damn good stuff. I wanted to put on some Bob Seger.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"The limit on so-called conforming mortgages, which is what Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae can buy, is $417,000. In a lot of markets in this country, a $500,000 house is not luxurious. The median price in your neck of the woods, Seattle, is about $420,000."