[lbo-talk] Risky money market funds?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 19 20:39:33 PDT 2007

Despite all the fingernail-biting about the potential perils that may lurk in the murky world of complex financial derivatives, what I have found most spooky is recent intimations that some plain old money market funds may be in trouble. These funds have long been viewed as a haven for tumultuous times in investing -- a place to park cash that's virtually as safe as FDIC-insured bank accounts. There have been very few instances where an MMF has "broken the buck" -- experienced a price decline below the dollar-per-share value these funds normally maintain.

Am I mistaken in believing MMFs are pretty much shielded from possible contagion by complex derivatives, or is there less transparency about MMFs than I'd assumed? In any event, is there any significant potential for an MMF panic to develop in lieu of the old-fashioned bank runs whose risk has been eliminated by FDIC protection?

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ See what you’re getting into…before you go there http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_preview_0507