[lbo-talk] Reading Arendt in Caracas

John Blazek john.blazek at pandora.be
Mon Aug 20 01:14:15 PDT 2007

I wasn't following this thread earlier, but when I saw that it was Young-Bruehl who had written the piece, I went over and skimmed it. Her biography of Arendt struck me as quite mediocre when I read it long ago, and I have the vague (although perhaps unfair) impression that she has been coasting on its overblown reputation ever since.

As to "she writes very badly", on the last page I ran into :

"I assured him that many people in America were worrying even more stronger than Hannah Arendt did about the American President being an autocrat"

"even more stronger"? Should be "even more strongly", and it would take a very tin ear not to find that objectionable. The editors certain did the author no favours . . .

John B

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org]On Behalf Of joanna Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 05:43 To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Reading Arendt in Caracas

Doug Henwood wrote:

>Anyone annoyed or outraged by that Nation piece on Chavez
>
><http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070827/young_bruehl>)

Well, I'm annoyed. Why would the Nation print an article spewing dark hints about Chavez that is written by someone who obviously has no expertise, knowledge, or even informed interest in the region and its history.

It was more like Katie Couric does Caracas.

Weird. I don't know though. Would the above be a useful letter to send? (And boy, who is she blowing? She writes very badly.)

Joanna