[lbo-talk] Reading Arendt in Caracus

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 20 09:19:27 PDT 2007

I would agree with Chuck Grimes on Arendt's marxism -- though as we all know the kinds of politics that can be covered by that term range rather widely. Her marxism (like that of many others) could not let her see the importance of the Black movement of the '60s, and her failure to understand the student movement is derivative from that more basic failure. That said, it was the Human Condition and On Revolution (which I read in 1963/64) that were basic to my turn a few years later to Marxism.

But, as Chuck also points out, the "real" Arendt is irrelevant to the uses of her work, of which "Reading Arendt in Caracas" is typical.

On another of Chuck's concerns, however, I think I disagree profoundly. (The "I think" is a weakener here -- it means I'm not really sure.) Chuck puts _way_ too much emphasis on "Neoconservatism" -- and my scare quotes indicate my scepticism that "Neoconservatism" really exists. It is simply wrong to twist the latest twist in capitalist politics into an ISM. The only ISM is Liberalism, of which the so-called "Neoconservatism" (now rapidly dissolving) is only one more temporary embodiment. The assumption that "Neoconservatism" represents a definable and distinct political theory cannot, for one thing, explain why so much of the "neoconservative" program has been enthusiastically supported by liberals -- or as in the case of deregulation and elimination of welfare, initiated by liberals.

Neoconsevatism is a scarecrow to frighten radicals back into the loving arms of the DP.

Carrol