[lbo-talk] Nazi board games for sale!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 09:41:55 PDT 2007

[When I was little I played a game called "Eastern Front" on my Atari 600 PC -- yes, PC, not the game console -- and naively sacked Russia probably dozens of times. Riga, Kiev, etc. fell many a time. -B.]

Nazi board games under the hammer

A collection of Nazi era board games - including one where players are given points for bombing British cities - are going on auction in the UK this week.

The rare trove of wartime board games also includes a version of Snakes and Ladders based on the exploits of U-boat captain Gunther Prien.

The games are thought to have come from a German collector. They will be sold at Mullock's Shropshire on Thursday.

Historian Richard Westwood-Brookes expects some to fetch up to £300.

[...]

The games include Bombers Over England, a form of bagatelle or primitive pinball where players score points for "bombing " British cities, shipping or lighthouses.

[...]

Mr Westwood-Brookes admitted to playing the Bombers over England game.

"And I managed to knock out London, Glasgow and Liverpool - and a ship in the North Sea," he said.