[lbo-talk] "Yiddishkeit"???

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 10:53:33 PDT 2007

This is like picking about the exceptions to the Nuremburg Laws. Yeah, there were exceptions. Of all kinds. Technically Jews couldn't own farmland, but Trotsky's family were fairly big Ukrainian farmers -- kulaks, matter of fact.

Main thing: there was a Pale with a zone to which most Russian Jews and virtually all Ashkenazi Jews, subject to certain exclusions, were restricted. And the key thing, Sholom Alechem's Tevye stories were written about life in the Pale, so described. Next thing you are going to go on a Solzhenitsyn rant about Czarist antisemitism was positively benign compared to Soviet antisemitism.

Keep to the point. Yiddishkeit is in part general cultural attachment to and in part sentimental nostalgia for Ashkenazi life in the the Pale and the Eastern European shtetl generally. Yiddishkeit is not really part of the culture of, nor does it involve particular attachment to, the Judaism of the Caucasian Mountains or Karaite Jews.