[lbo-talk] film theory

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 15:44:13 PDT 2007

Speaking of purple penises foreshadowing things, Criterion recently released a good editon of the controversial/banned Yugoslavian movie _Sweet Movie_.

I can recommend it to anyone who likes 70s-era John Waters (the sick/bizarre stuff like Pink Flamingos and Desperate Living), or Myra Breckenridge, the weird gender-bending mind-fuck of a movie that Raquel Welch and Rex Reed[!] were in.

It's tempting to say that if Waters had come from Yugoslavia (what a thought) he might have made _Sweet Movie_. Criterion released it a couple of weeks ago, I believe.

IMDB Description:

"The intercut story of two women: a nearly-mute beauty queen who descends into withdrawal and madness, and another who captains a ship laden with candy and sugar, luring men and boys aboard for sex, death, and revolutionary talk. The beauty queen passes from a wealthy husband whose honeymoon delight is to urinate on her, to a muscular keeper who punches her, stows her in a suitcase, and ships her to Paris, to a lip-synching rock idol with whom she has a love spasm, to an Austrian commune complete with a banquet of vomit, urine, feces, chopped dildos, and wet nurses. By then she's in a fetal position, until everyone's rescued by reminders that 'it's just a movie.'"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072235/plotsummary

In 2008 Criterion is set to reissue Pasolini's Salo as well, from what I hear. That should undercut the price-gouging vulture bootleggers out there. Amazon 3rd party sellers suck.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"Reading this made me think of Brian Dauth:

http://fleshbot.com/sex/flesh-flicks/flesh-flicks-giving-alexis-amore-some-props-291415.php>

Flesh Flicks: Giving Alexis Amore Some Props: Now when the establishing shot of a scene is a close up on a giant purple dildo/vibrator, isn't it pretty much a given that the device in question will figure prominently in the action?"