[lbo-talk] Mearsheimer and Walt

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 19:13:40 PDT 2007

--- Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:

> My take:

<http://dennisperrin.blogspot.com/2007/08/lobbing-smears.html>

Dennis: Your piece on M and W feels slanted to me. You assert that a Zionist lobby doesnt exist, other than as a group which occasionally pressures Congress to take certain positions, and you even quote a notable Zionist to back that up. You assert that US policy in the ME is broader than Israel's, although in salient features they seem to coincide. You forget the role of American neocons in authoring Israel's "Clean Break" policy, and their subsequent influence in the Bush administration. And you ignore the prime reason why the idea of undue Zionist influence is so provocative right now, the fact that America's tragic and self-destructive blunder in Iraq, not to mention its threatened sequel in Iran, so perfectly suits Israel's agenda.

You end the piece with a gratuitous defense of Meersheimer against charges of anti-semitism. Seems a little one-sided to me.