[lbo-talk] sketching an "anti-economist"

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 10:16:39 PDT 2007

> On Aug 20, 2007, at 2:18 PM, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>
> > On the upside, if you only want it to be online, that's relatively
> > cheap.
> > Shoot, Doug and Liza could probably get it up and running any time
> > they want
> > with relatively small investment. I'll bet they'd get writers
> > coming out of
> > the woodwork. :)
>
> Sure, but I'm tired of reading stuff that reads like it was written
> and edited for free or very close to it. It would be really nice to
> do the thing right - which would, in part, involve buying people
> tickets and sending them places to talk to interesting people.

Yes, agreed. And here we're back to resources. I've never worked for a print zine or newspaper, and don't know well what the costs are, but in my reckoning, I imagine printing and distribution costs to be substantial. At least with an e-zine, you could spend your angel's money on getting your writers to the right places, in to see the right people, and time to spend writing something worth reading. And, frankly, time to edit.