[lbo-talk] MTV poll: the kids are alright

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:33:31 PDT 2007

> On Aug 21, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:
>
> > Earlier this year a friend of 20 years was over and we were drinking
> > wine. My daughter, who is 8, out of the blue said "alcohol makes you
> > lose friends." We both looked at her, glasses in hand, and said
> > we've been friends for 20 years and we're drinking. She said, "well,
> > that's what they told us at school."
>
> Maybe they'll rebel against this crap.
>
> Among Ivan's earliest words were "beer" and "wine."

When I was in elementary school I remember saying shit like that to my parents and grandparents. The message at my public school was, quite literally, "prohibition was a noble experiment that unfortunately didn't work out because of public complacency about alcohol." The thing is, by the time I hit middle school, I realized that was all bullshit. (I recall arguing with my catechism teacher's assertion that underage drinking was immoral).

What's disturbing about this survey is that it focused on 13 to 24 year olds. This generation just doesn't seem as skeptical as the one born between 1965 and 1980. I'd be curious to know if the educators on the list agree.

-WD __________________________ thevanitywebsite.blogspot.com