[lbo-talk] "Save subprime borrowers, not bloated bankers" by Dean Baker

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Aug 22 06:54:59 PDT 2007

Doug cited:

that much. The NYT has a buy/rent calculator on its website; for some plausible numbers in NYC, it would take you about 15 years to break even on buying over renting.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/10/business/2007_BUYRENT_GRAPHIC.html>.

[WS:] Very interesting, indeed. I live in a coop apartment (3 story row house about 1200 sq ft) and I entered my monthly "rent" or carrying charges (as it is officially called) of $568/mo instead of the "default" rent at $1112, leaving all other defaults unchanged. And guess what answer I got - BUYING IS NEVER BETTER THAN RENTING! That is it. So much for the cherished 'American Dream." Fuck it, I say, and go for the value.

Wojtek