[lbo-talk] Cornel explains it all

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 08:29:00 PDT 2007

This sort of thing makes you think that Larry Summers had a point despite himself. And to think that West once wrote good books on pragmatism and on Marxist ethics.

<http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0734,selah,77552,22.html>

> Ebony and Imus
> Cornel West hangs with Prince and challenges—not
> denounces—hip-hop
> by Makkada B. Selah
> August 21st, 2007 12:53 PM
>
> "There's a white brother named Paul Woodruff
> singing—he sounds better
> than Robin Thicke!" Princeton University professor
> Cornel West says
> excitedly, referring to "Still Here," a single on
> his new spoken-word
> CD, Never Forget: A Journey of Revelations. West,
> the public
> intellectual and widely cited authority on American
> race relations
> now famous for playing himself, "Councillor West of
> Zion," in the
> last two Matrix movies, calls everybody "brother" or
> "sister." It's
> so very '60s and Christian and gentlemanly of him.
> He and "Brother
> Prince," Mr. 3121 Jehovah's Witness Brother Prince
> himself, wrote
> Never Forget's first single, "Dear Mr. Man," and
> have become good
> friends. Prince surprised a few people with last
> month's protest LP
> Planet Earth, and now this. "The question is" (one
> of Professor
> West's favorite phrases), since when has he been
> down for the cause?
>
> "I went to Paisley Park some years ago," says West.
> "You know,
> [Prince] has those xenophobia conferences every
> year. He brings in
> people from all around the world. He pays for it,
> actually. They're
> there for three days. There's dialogue during the
> day on all the
> various forms of xenophobia. I gave a lecture. And
> then that night, I
> remember seeing Norah Jones before she was big. Of
> course, Sheila
> [E.] was there. Maceo [Parker] was there. Chaka Khan
> was there . . . "
>
> "Dear Mr. Man," an organ-goosed open letter to the
> U.S. government in
> which most of West's contributions consist of
> ad-libs like "Break it
> down, Brother Prince!", finds the Purple One railing
> against
> environmental abuses, constitutional abuses, Geneva
> Conventions
> abuses, and institutional racism. We tired of y'all,
> he says. We
> tired of y'all spyin' on fellow citizens, adds West.
> We tired of
> y'all lyin' to justify war. We tired of y'all
> torturing innocent
> people. And though other Never Forget tracks like
> "America" (featuring Black Thought and Rah Digga),
> "Mr.
> President" (featuring KRS-One and M1), and
> "Bushonomics" (featuring
> Talib Kweli) tout similar sentiments, not all of the
> fire and
> brimstone here is directed at the White House. West
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545469