[lbo-talk] more on house prices

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed Aug 22 09:51:05 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 12:31:55PM -0400, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> So basically you compare one horror story (buying) to even greater horror
> story manufactured by capitalist property relations (renting) - without
> considering other alternatives that are quite real but considered very
> un-American - e.g. housing coops. Coops exist all over the world, and even
> in the US, and nothing stops people from forming them - except for the
> official propaganda of developers and the government they own who profit
> from selling real estate at inflated prices.
>
> You fall precisely in the same trap as Joanna aptly mentioned - that home
> ownership became the panacea for all social problems in the US, while all
> other alternatives have been forgotten or dismissed. If even the lefties
> fall into this consumerist bullshit, no wonder that most ordinary people
> fall for it wholesale.

Um, my whole point is that insulting individuals working class people for being home owners is unproductive. There aren't coops in my town that I know about - is that because of systemic factors or do we just blame individuals for falling into "consumerist bullshit"?

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

The fear of some divine and supreme powers keeps men in obedience.

-Robert Burton