[lbo-talk] more on house prices

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Aug 22 10:01:03 PDT 2007

On 22 Aug, 2007, at 9:43 AM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Doug and Joanna each live in rent-controlled apartments and love it.
> Great for them! I would encourage everyone to find ways to live in
> one
> of the few places in the US that have rent-control (hey, no one has
> piped up from Santa Monica; here's your chance, lucky renter!) and
> simply opt out of the market system and get a great deal for
> yourselves.
> Then when you've got your sweet setup, please tell everyone else who
> doesn't have access to a similar deal that we're all crazy and stupid.
> Be sure to make it sound like you've generalized your success to the
> non-rent-controlled unresponsive asshole landlord that is the norm.
>
> That's a sure way to make a point here on the intarwebz. Mission
> accomplished!

I must say that Jordan's responses used to come across as just angry/ hostile, but lately he has moved up a few notches into the Wojtek/ Carl/Carrol category of rants that are a true joy to read... keep it up Jordan. Of course it helps in this case that I tend to see the validity of your mathematics and reasoning while I am left a bit confused by the opposing argument.

For the tally-keeper: my total (yes total) maintenance cost over 8 years: ~ $1000, and that includes the damn wet vac I bought to clear up the mess after I screwed up a washer hose ;-). And that's a 3- bedroom 25 year old condo. In NJ.

BTW, I have been watching a few episodes of Sopranos to see what such intelligent people as present company might find interesting in yet another gangster show. Will post some comments on my blog or to the list, FWIW.

Let's see... any other thoughts I want to squeeze into this post...

--ravi