[lbo-talk] Harry Potter, Metritocracy, and Reward

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 22 20:32:00 PDT 2007

>From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>
>Me, I'm a thoroughgoing elitist and inegalitarian. I
>don't think that cornering a market in skill, etc.
>should give anyone the right to monopolize all the
>good things in life, much less to pass it on to one's
>undeserving children. But I think that accomplishment
>deserves honor, contribution deserves material reward,
>inequality can be based on desert as well as need, and
>lots of other bourgeois ideology. But I never said i
>wasn't a bourgeois liberal.

The shades of night were falling fast, As through an Alpine village passed A youth, who bore, 'mid snow and ice, A banner with the strange device,

Bourgeois liberal!

As for me, I think accomplishment merits only nominal award. Perhaps overachievers might be enititled to wear a (small) laurel wreath, but that's it.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507