[lbo-talk] Harry Potter, Metritocracy, and Reward

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Wed Aug 22 21:55:01 PDT 2007

I should feel relieved that I'm not responsible for that. It is a book for a youth audience. It's written from a child's point of view. (a gift of the gods, no doubt)

Meritocracy aside, as an issue of subversion, the story lays down an ethical construction dealing with power and corruption. It touches gently on gender issues. My interest is in watching the development of a generation that shares the ethical bias of harry potter readers. The popularity seemed to run through that soccer mom class swath that sweeps through the developed world. I would assume them to be privileged children, and probably entering (or soon to be) first year of college.

martin