[lbo-talk] more on house prices

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Aug 23 03:33:43 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 02:27:43PM -0700, joanna wrote:

> I don't look down. I just feel depressed. I have rented all my life and
> have run into exactly one shitty landlord. "Shitty" meaning that she
> didn't return my deposit.

This is not the norm. Count yourself lucky.

> When I get together with people these days, conversation turns a lot on
> redecorating, real estate bargains, and remodelling. A good deal of
> identity creation has been transmogrified into house decoration. It's
> just a pity because there's more to us than that. It's also a pity
> because houses become beautiful places to hide from all the stuff that
> we no longer know how to do -- organize, make trouble, live with one
> another.

It sounds like the problem is the people you are hanging out with, not home ownership.

> I'm glad that you are happy with your house and that it offers you a
> kind of haven. But surely, you must agree, that it is, relatively
> speaking, a modest dream.

"Haven" and "dream" (and, lest we forget, "mausoleum") are your words not mine. As Jordan has demonstrated, most of the time switching from a normal (non-rent-controlled, shitty landlord) apartment to a comparable home makes smart economic sense to a lot of working folks, especially if they like the town they live in and expect to stay there 5-10 years.

All this other stuff you are able to figure out about an individual's psychology based on this economic decision, well, that's what I don't understand and am calling bullshit.

Like car ownership, there seem to be a few issues such as this one which drive leftists bonkers at a personal level, which gets in the way of real organizing.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

-Westley