[lbo-talk] "Save subprime borrowers, not bloated bankers" by Dean Baker

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Aug 23 03:52:51 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 01:43:28PM -0400, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> My cooperative (Washington Hill Mutual Homes) was formed in the 1970s by a
> bunch of activists (including the local Communist Howard Silverberg who
> passed away some three years ago http://www.pww.org/article/view/3600/1/167/
> http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=3421 ) as an alternative to both
> public housing and individual home ownership. There were no "systemic
> obstacles" - in fact we got a HUD loan (paid off by now.) We offer decent
> self-governed housing at a fraction of what it cost to buy or even rent. I
> do not see why this cannot be replicated in any place in the US - except the
> obsession with the 'American dream' which feeds the pig of real estate
> brokers and money lenders.

So your complaint seems to be "why can't other people get busy and find themselves a nice co-op to get into like I did". That sounds a lot like "why doesn't everyone just get themselves a San Fran or Manhattan rent-controlled apartment".

Co-ops do sound great, but isn't it still a form of home ownership? Instead of owning real-estate, you own shares in a corporation that owns real-estate.

I am not sure who you think claimed it cannot be replicated. But there are systemic obstacles; for one, the Federal subsidies that existed when your co-op was built no longer exist. Most of the resources for doing this I found on the web focus on major US cities like NYC, SFO, and Balt/Wash.

But I agree - most people do not consider this an option, but unlike you, I don't blame them for some obsession with the "American Dream", whatever that is. I think they just don't realize it is an option and don't have access to resources to learn about it.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

"Hold your fire" - that's what I told the FBI.

-Kool Keith