[lbo-talk] Harry Potter, Metritocracy, and Reward

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 23 06:05:51 PDT 2007

On 8/23/07, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> This is a basic conflict of value and I don't think there is a
> rational resolution of it. Carl, Ravi, many leftists, really do
> hate, distrust, despise talent, and if they weren't nice people
> they'd urge on use the advice of the counselor in the proverb who
> showed his prince how to handle the menace of the great by taking
> him to a wheat field and cutting down to the common level any stalk
> that rose above the average height. I don't see it that way. I view
> genius as a natural phenomenon, to be celebrated. protected,
> cultivated, and encouraged as one would the Rocky Mountains or the
> Grand Canyon. I have no delusions about being in that category
> myself, but I know it when I see it. I had physics with John
> Wheeler, for one.

Well, I personally think their perspective is like the one described by Wheeler's most famous student, in _Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman!_ Where he described the tricks he played to seem like a real smartie, as well as how easily he forgot to show the proper deference when confronted with gods:

- - - -

'I also met Niels Bohr. His name was Nicholas Baker in those days,

and he came to Los Alamos with Jim Baker, his son, whose name is

really Aage Bohr. They came from Denmark, and they were very

famous physicists, as you know. Even to the big shot guys, Bohr

was a great god.

We were at a meeting once, the first time he came, and everybody

wanted to see the great Bohr. So there were a lot of people there,

and we were discussing the problems of the bomb. I was back in a

corner somewhere. He came and went, and all I could see of him was

from between people's heads.

In the morning of the day he's due to come next time, I get a

telephone call.

"Hello - Feynman?"

"Yes."

"This is Jim Baker." It's his son. "My father and I would like to

speak to you."

"Me? I'm Feynman, I'm just a - " Is eight o'clock OK?" So, at

eight o'clock in the morning, before anybody's awake, I go down to

the place. We go into an office in the technical area and he says,

"We have been thinking how we could make the bomb more efficient

and we think of the following idea."

I say, "No, it's not going to work. It's not efficient. . . Blab,

blab, blah."

So he says, "How about so and so?"

I said, "That sounds a little bit better, but it's got this damn

fool idea in it."

This went on for about two hours, going back and forth over lots

of ideas, back and forth, arguing. The great Niels kept lighting

his pipe; it always went out. And he talked in a way that was

un-understandable - mumble, mumble, hard to understand. His son I

could understand better.

"Well," he said finally, lighting his pipe, "I guess we can call

in the big shots now." So then they called all the other guys and

had a discussion with them.

Then the son told me what happened. The last time he was there,

Bohr said to his son, "Remember the name of that little fellow in

the back over there? He's the only guy who's not afraid of me, and

will say when I've got a crazy idea. So next time when we want to

discuss ideas, we're not going to be able to do it with these guys

who say everything is yes, yes, Dr. Bohr. Get that guy and we'll

talk with him first."

I was always dumb in that way. I never knew who I was talking

to. I was always worried about the physics. If the idea looked

lousy, I said it looked lousy. If it looked good, I said it looked

good. Simple proposition.

I've always lived that way. It's nice, it's pleasant - if you can

do it. I'm lucky in my life that I can do this.'

-- http://www.multitran.ru/c/m.exe?a=DisplayParaSent&fname=Richard%20Feynman\Chapter17