[lbo-talk] Harry Potter, Metritocracy, and Reward

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 23 07:26:50 PDT 2007

Milton wanted to create something that 'men would unwillingly let die" (quoted from memory). Milton had it right -- a poem (and hence the achievement of the poet) literally does not exist except as it is read and cherished by an audience. I don't know a lot about Mozart, but I think he was quite anxious for both material and moral awards. Only an animal or a god could be indifferent to positive response to his/her achievements.

Carrol