[lbo-talk] Ba-da-bing: Who is John Galt?

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 07:29:47 PDT 2007

I have read a lot of Rand's non-fiction -- i.e., her essays in book form.

_The Virtue of Selfishness_ (which, in a bit of irony, someone stole from me) and _Capitalism: the Unknown Ideal_ in particular, the latter which has a few essays by our very own Alan Greenspan!

She has a very haughty, authoritative tone in these, and I became convinced that it was her literary tone -- like I said, very "strong," supremely self-confident, authoritative, tempting to say "authoritarian" in her verbal style -- that I think attracted folks almost as much as the content of her logic, which by the way was not always good. I particularly remember delighting in an essay Greenspan contributed to her _Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal_ about doing away with the Food & Drug Administration, I believe it was. You know, let the markets rule untrammeled!

I haven't read her fiction.

However, I actually recommend people at least read _Capitalism_ The Unknown Ideal_ as it is stuff by her and her circle of buddies, including the former Federal Reserve Chair, spinning some kooky ideas, a kind of primer on right-lib thought that has seeped into so much of the modern GOP. In it, she also discounts Native Americans' presence before 1492 and claims N. America was "unowned" thus up for legitimate grabs for wholesome propertarians, etc. It's a goo book to have in a "know thine enemies" sense, just like I have some copies of books of anthologies of writings by neo-conservatives, etc.

-B.

Andy F wrote:
> So, has anybody actually read Rand? I ask because
because I've learned to be cautious about judging a work by its fans. Or even its creator.