[lbo-talk] sketching an "anti-economist"

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 07:38:46 PDT 2007

On 8/22/07, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:

> Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>
> > Yes, and that's a relatively small circulation. the atlantic claims a
> > ratebase of 375,000; the new yorker just under a million; Cosmo uses a
> > ratebase of nearly 3million. Sports Illustrated claims 3.25m. i think
> when
> > the nation says "favored larger publications," they probably mean that.
> > couldn't find circulation or ratebase numbers on the nation web site.
>
> Relative to the biggest circulation magazines, yes, but the Nation is a
> large circulation magazine. I can understand the Nation going to bat for
> smaller magazines--they've published quite a bit about the media
> monopoly--but I hope nobody thinks that the Nation is a small
> independent magazine.
>
> Most *small* independent magazines have circulations in the tens of
> thousands.
>
> I would love to run a magazine with a circulation of 180,000.
>
> Although I shouldn't complain too much because Infoshop.org has around
> 90,000 unique readers every month.

Right. My point is just that I think the Nation is saying that when you have a ratebase around 2-3M (which will mean a much, much higher circulation, iiuc), you get treated differently from the mags with circs under a million, or maybe under 500k, I don't know. Yes, the Nation is much bigger than a lot of smaller magazines, but that doesn't mitigate the point they're making a whit that I can see.