[lbo-talk] Harry Potter, Metritocracy, and Reward

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 07:44:39 PDT 2007

Joanna, and may Tayssir, your take on this involved a deeply liberal (not radical) sense that somehow any deviations from equality of reward, including respect and honor, ought to be independent of any qualities that are outside the individual's control. They show a lack of the tragic sense of life that the Greeks, for one had. Desert of honor and reward or the reverse is often a matter of luck. Those mute inglorious Miltons who never had a chance may be entitled to our outrage that they never had a chance because the system, or life, is unfair, but Milton's accomplishment doesn't deserve less admiration and awe just because he did have a chance, or even because he was very privileged and got to go to University, learn Latin and Greek, or indeed to write, and have the leisure to write and the daughters to help him do so in his blindness. But whether you get to do something great (or terrible) is generally largely a matter of chance.

There's lucky John Donne, on whom you wrote a dissertation because his work was great as his talents; if he'd died of the plague, successfully gone into politics, spent all of his energy thinking about how to fuck rather than how to write about it, been born a peasant and never learned to write, we'd be out a poet and some great poetry and he would be entitled to human respect that everyone is as a human, but not to laurels for accomplishment.

We all had ancestors, and most of us are, people with hypothetical talent, most of unrealized. Are we entitled to less respect for our lack of accomplishment than the lucky few who take what hey have, often unfairly, and make something of it? Bet yer bootie. Does that mean that the nameless unnumbered basses are worthless human beings who ought to be crushed, ignored, exploited, and used for the benefit of the great? That's obscene.

I'm not making overall judgments, Donne was a better and more worthy overall person because he was great poet. That's stupid. Some geniuses are lousy people. We've talked about Marx, Newton was far worse. But the realized talents of Donne, Marx, Newton, deserve out honor, no? And while their reward may be the doing of what they did and the respect of those able able to appreciate it, they deserve that respect, even though what they did is largely a matter of luck over which they had no control, a gift of the gods. The gifts of the gods are to be revered and not lightly last away.